Thursday, September 16, 2010

Instructions and The Graveyard Book

I'm certainly not the first person to write a review of Newbery award winning author Neil Gaiman, but his books are so beautiful that I cannot help making my recommendation. In particular I am in love with The Graveyard Book and His picture book Instructions. The Graveyard Book which Gaiman says is like The Jungle Book with ghosts instead of animals, is such an incredible read. At times funny, sweet, sad and positively chilling, it is a very engaging story about Bod, a boy raised by ghosts in a graveyard. It is one of those books that leaves you with a fresh, exhilarated feeling after it's over, like you've just been reminded that life has infinite possibilites. It is so easy to be jaded with the world these days that I think books like are true treasures. And because Neil Gaiman is an author who is incredibly giving to his readers, there are videos of his book tour for The Graveyard Book wherein he reads each and every chapter aloud. Go check out the link above. You won't be sorry. :)


Instructions holds a similar message, being a set of instructions for traversing through a fairy tale world. The instructions have a deeper meaning that can be applied to our own world, however, and that is what makes the little book so beautiful. When I was a kid, I had a very active imagination which my mom encouraged frequently. I can imagine her reading this book with me, and the wonder that I would have felt at a smaller age. It would have really been right up my alley. 






No comments:

Post a Comment